I gave up margarine in tubs but then got caught out baking a cake. All ready to go – eek no marge. I had to go the corner shop to purchase some and of course it came in a nasty plastic pot.
Since then I have discovered that you can bake cakes using vegetable oil – better than butter in bad fat terms, better than marge in a tub in plastic waste terms.
Heres the recipe I like best
lavender muffins from recipe bazaar - NB instead of butter use sunflower oil.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lavender flowers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup apple, peeled and diced, divided use
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat 12 muffin tins with cooking spray or line with muffin cups.
- In large bowl, sift together flour; sugar; baking powder and salt. Make a well in center.
- In separate bowl, whisk together milk, lavender; butter and egg. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir by hand just until batter is evenly moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup of the apples.
- Fill prepared muffin tins about three-quarters full. Gently tap filled tins to release any air bubbles.
- Sprinkle remaining diced apple over muffins. Bake until skewer inserted into center of a muffin comes our clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pan about 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
Even using vegetable oil does not make these buns entirely plastic free – but it sure reduces your plastic trash. See here for ( almost ) plastic free vegetable oil
Cook more plastic free food with the plastic free cook book here.
Find out more about plastic, the boycott and us here
For more lots more plastic free products with the >>>A-Z<<< plastic free index.